During the World Cocoa Conference in November 2012, PACTS (a BLOMMER, PETRA FOODS (Delfi brand), and CEMOI alliance) and MARS Inc. both signed a Memorandum of Understanding confirming their commitment to sustainable cocoa farming in Ivory Coast.
The mission of this Memorandum of Understanding is to create 2 new centres that will be based on Cocoa Development Center’s principles, these in turn, will also be applied to 2 PACTS centres. PACTS and MARS have also agreed upon a communal cooperation for their sustainable development programmes, prioritising:
- Production of quality cocoa beans,
- Qualitative training with on-hand demonstrations in the centres,
- Correct fertility of land,
- Use of quality plant material,
- Interaction, reaching a larger number of farmers. In 5 years time more than 8000 farmers should benefit from the creation of 4 new centres,
- Respect and implementation of international work standards and the eradication of child labour.
More informations www.pacts-cocoa.com